What an incredible month! With 700 registrations, over 50 speakers, and nearly 40 sessions we can surely call Trans Empowerment Month a success. By moving this event virtual, our audience grew from our local Michigan community to a national AND an international one. Young people from Australia, Mexico, Germany, England, and Canada were able to join us!
The month consisted of so many fantastic highlights, just to name a few:
- A passionate keynote from Owen Bondono about what it means to be a possibility model for trans youth
- Beautiful music from AcousticAsh and She/her/hers
- Vulnerable shares from Mars Wright about his transition journey on his own
- Incredible advice from Robbi Katharine Anthony about social transitioning
- A panel of four folks working in Entertainment that included their personal stories on how they got to where they are now
This month was a beautiful reminder of the power of community. When we band together, when we choose to share our stories, when we uplift and support each other, there is so much we can accomplish. It can be hard to remember during this time, as we have no choice but to spend time physically far apart from each other, but it’s still true even in the virtual world.
One comment on the session feedback stood out, reminding us just how important our visibility is:
My 9 year-old trans son really loved seeing other trans people who appeared happy and “normal”. He has been in the closet about his gender identity since coming out a few years ago, and I think these sessions helped to normalize being trans. Thank you!
Thank you to everyone who joined us, to all who bravely shared personal stories, to the speakers who shared valuable, life changing information, and to our sponsors for making it all possible, and our elected officials who have spoken in support of Trans Empowerment Month.
We can’t wait to do it all over again!