Trans Lifeline Library:

Legal Resources

Gender Marker Change

Legal Resources

Gender Marker Change


Gender Marker Change


The gender marker change process can vary by state and agency. Some places require you to have a physician’s letter that states that you’ve obtained “appropriate clinical treatment” to use your desired gender marker, and some states make it easy–all you need to do in Michigan is sign a form that allows you to self-select/self-certify an M, F, or X designation.

An old workaround for states that have more issues with changing a gender marker was to use your physician’s letter (now you can self-certify) to get a passport, which would then carry enough weight as a federally-issued identification that you could use it as documentation to update your state license. However, be aware if you select “X” as your gender marker on your passport, some countries may not recognize it as valid, some states don’t offer a nonbinary designation yet, and the Social Security Administration still requires an M or F designation on their records.

Because passport books and passport cards no longer require medical documentation to change your gender marker, this can be a great, more accessible way for someone to have at least one document that reflects their gender identity in their wallet, especially if you live in a state that has more requirements for changing your gender marker.

If you’re AMAB and have or previously had an “M” on your birth certificate/documents, you will still need to register with the selective service within 30 days of turning 18. You’re also required to update your name within 10 days of receiving your name change order if you’re between the ages of 18 and 26.

If you’re AFAB and change your gender marker to M between the ages of 18 and 26, you’re not required to register with the selective service, but it may make things easier when it comes to applying for college financial aid and any government-related jobs or programs. You can submit a waiver (a status information letter) that verifies your exemption as an alternate option.



National Center for Transgender Equality–ID Document Center

Department of State–Selecting Your Gender Marker

National Center for Transgender Equality–Selective Service and Transgender People

State of Michigan–Sex Designation Application (Birth Certificate)

State of Michigan–Sex Designation Form (License and ID)

Affirmations–Name/Gender Marker Change Clinics

Identitrans–Correcting Mexican Birth Certificates (Spanish)

Back to Legal Resources

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Share your name and email to receive updates from
Stand with Trans!

Mailing Address

23332 Farmington Rd #84
Farmington, MI 48336