Every Body is a Rainbow, A Kid’s Guide to Bodies Across the Gender Spectrum
Written by Caroline Carter, PsyD and illustrated by Mathias Ball, Rainbow Kids Press, 2022.
This non-fiction picture book celebrates the diversity of bodies, gender identities and expressions, offering a happy, celebratory, and inclusive approach for all families. It is the perfect starter book to share with young children ages 4 to 8 who want to learn about their bodies, and for families and educators of all genders, abilities, and expressions who want to provide children with an upbeat inclusive understanding and acceptance of the vast “rainbow” of bodies and identities that people can have.
Every Body Is a Rainbow details in clear, direct and engaging language and bright colorful detailed illustrations how genders and bodies – including their private parts – can be wonderfully diverse. The artwork includes anatomically correct and labelled illustrations of genitals, including ones from kids’ bodies with intersex traits. Young readers will also learn the importance of caring for their own bodies and how to respect the gender identities of others. From non-binary, to intersex, to gender identity and expression, this book shows young children that all bodies are amazing and beautiful and of value. Parents, caregivers, and educators can use this book as a tool to help children navigate not only their own bodies and identities, but also the beautifully diverse world we live in.
In Every Body Is a Rainbow, young children will explore:
- How each body has its own unique mix of colors, shapes, parts, abilities, identities, and expressions.
- Private parts and the unique ways that these parts and gender identity can go together.
- The feeling in our hearts that gives us clues to our gender identity.
- The ways in which we can choose to decorate our bodies to express our gender identity.
- Caring for our bodies, including our private parts.
- A special page where a young reader can reflect on their own gender identity, preferred pronouns, favorite body decorations, and activities, and what makes their body unique.
- Notes for parents/educators on fostering a body inclusive and body positive mindset in children
- Talking points for Every Body Is a Rainbow with your child – including gender identity, gender expression, and private parts.
- Glossary of terms
Caroline Carter, PsyD (she/her/hers) is a Licensed Clinical Psychologist. Her passion and expertise are in working with transgender and gender nonbinary (TGNB) children, teens and their families. What motivated her to write this book is her belief in the power of all kids seeing their lived and embodied experiences mirrored back to them. Learn more at her website: https://drcarolinecarter.com
Mathias Ball (they/he) is a trans-identified illustrator from a small Canadian town. If they aren’t illustrating, they’re likely hanging out with their dog. Learn more at their website: https://www.mathiasball.com
This book review was submitted by Stand with Trans advocate Barb Shumer, who is a past board member and retired public librarian.
23332 Farmington Rd #84
Farmington, MI 48336